Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dread scales? So did I... For guitar that is.

Guitar scales have been tough for me to learn. Even though I have an understanding of how they work, that doesn't always translate into practical fretboard knowledge. So if you are like I am and scales seem impossible to memorize, here is a glimmer of hope.

Think of your understanding as a puzzle. You've got most of the pieces, but the picture just doesn't make sense. Those missing pieces are out there! And if you can find them, they might save you years of frustration. These pieces might be in a instruction book, a YouTube video, or as in my case, a professional guitar instructor. I had a breakthrough in my own learning process in regard to scales that I hadn't been able to understand on my own. It was my guitar instructor who supplied the missing piece. (In short, that there is a "rhyme and reason" to the patterns of scales in relation to chords;)

The bottom line? You might be on the threshold of breaking through to a more satisfying experience as a guitarist, but it might take a bold step on your part. Maybe you should take those guitar lessons that you've been talking about for years! Go ahead and explore instructional videos on that one skill or technique that eludes you.

Hope you feel inspired! Now go get your guitar! Lol

Native Guitar Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment